Working Myself Out of a Job


As mothers our goal should be to work ourselves out of a job. Depending on personalities and gifs it happens at different ages. With our two boys, it is happening at the same time. One is 17 and the other is 14. I will be out of a job faster than I thought and am feeling it!
Heart strings and apron strings must be connected! With every loosening of the apron strings I feel the pull in my heart. The last two years I have been learning how to let go of the little boy we have and let him grow into a young man. Now our younger one is following suit. I really struggled the first year I felt this happening. What a roller coaster of emotions. I have to continually remind myself that this is not about me it is about them.
What I have learned in the last two years is to trust. It is so hard to trust our children to always make wise moral choices every time, however, we can trust in the Good Lord. These are His children. He loves them more than we know how. He knows each and every child better than anyone else. Jeremiah 1:5, Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart;. He has their best interest at heart and knows everything about them even before they were born. So whatever mistakes, bad choices and sometime tragedies occur, God will make all things good. Romans 8:28, And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. He has a plan for us and for our children. Jeremiah 29:11 for I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. When we completely trust Him, worry will be replaced with peace and joy.
Their choices, at times, will not be what we had in mind. However, we are to encourage, love, provide, guide, protect to our best ability, discipline when needed , cover them in prayer and trust in God to handle all things. Getting to the sweet spot is a tough road but when we decide to just simply TRUST GOD, we have arrived. 

Wow! This was a difficult one for me to write. I have not arrived just yet, but I am confident that I will. Philippians 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Comments

Kim L said…
AMEN...Ms. Swayne...that was awesome...these words will help all of us "who have not arrived yet"..I love you!
Tabitha said…
I can't believe your "little" boys are so grown up. I remember Garrett walking into my SS room at 4 years old.

Isn't it hard to imagine that the Lord loves our children more than we do?
Amy A. said…
It is hard to see your sons grow into men because they definitely look different from the little boys you raised once they start shaving. It is especially hard with the first one because you don't know what to expect. You know it must happen and you look forward to it but you fear it at the same time. Jeremiah 29:11 is one of my favorite verses and I pray that for my kids all the time. Especially the one who just graduated from college, has student loans to pay and can't find a job. Very scary, but it is in God's hands.
Anne said…
For me it is the anxiety of a younger man-13/14. Still in the foolishness of a child but with desires and arrogance of a man. Which way will he choose? Will he be a godly young man or will he induldge laziness and lying? I so want him to choose right, but I realize it is so that I will avoid pain. I don't want to suffer if he messes up. I am self- protective of my heart. So I'm sure, for me, the lesson will be to allow him to be trained by the lord just as I was. And to care more for him than I do for myself.

Thank you, Kelly, for walking this road a little earlier than I. I will treasure your advice.
Love you utterly,

anne

Popular posts from this blog