Expect the unexpected!




Our home is a magnet for teen boys. There will be from three to twelve at a time on most days, ages fourteen to seventeen. They are very comfortable with David and me. I am glad they feel free to talk among themselves and to me about anything and I mean anything! They make me laugh, a lot! Some of the things they say and our own boys say, well… I really don’t need or want to hear. I have washed ones mouth out with vinegar and threatened another with soap. They know Mrs. Swayne does not like a foul mouth and when one slips all the others chime in with ooooos or it goes silent and they all look at me. They are not even safe in the basement from my ears! They are a work in progress for sure, as am I.
These young men do not attend church regularly and some not at all. A couple have gone with us on occasion.
Two weeks ago, while in church, God gave me the desire to see these young men filling up a row at church. He told me in my spirit; hang a poster board in your kitchen and bribe them with your southern cooking! Brilliant! I love to cook, love our house full of people, this will be the easy part. Getting them to come would be all faith. I bought a poster board and a big black marker that day. It went up in my kitchen and I called out for prayer. I numbered one through ten. There were faithful people in four different states praying. We had 8 names by Friday, ten by Saturday night! I was shooting for two or three! Oh ye of little faith.
Next, the unexpected happened! One of these young men claims to be an atheist ( he is a sweet young man). I am not concerned about letting that out. He says it himself. He called our youngest son on Saturday, he had heard about the poster board and the lunch afterwards and wanted in on the action. I was so excited. Then I waited in anticipation to see if they would all show up. Again ye of little faith!
They all arrive, some with donuts to share. Wearing their camo ball caps and their cowboy hats. So be it! Off we went in three different vehicles. They got to the doors before David and me, with my earlier instructions they marched to the third middle row and filled it up. I had told them, no balcony, no back seats. We have an awesome rockin band and I wanted them to get the full effect!
Let me just say it was a joyful joyful sight to behold! David and I sat on the end of the row and they were all lined up to my right, just like I had pictured in my mind the week before and was skeptical it would happen so effortlessly. There were fourteen of us in all!
Again! The unexpected happened! The message was on courage. One of the points in the message, being an atheist due to a tragedy in your life! I could not believe my ears. This young man that was with us, lost his mom when he was a baby and holds it against God. It was only one point in the message but oh so powerful!
God had this orchestrated way before He hung my poster board, way before these young men made friends with my family and long before Pastor Carl had that sermon put on paper.
It was a great day! They ate till they were stuffed, broke up in teams and left for a fishing competition. They were in and out all day, the last of them left around eight. I was so tired, my kitchen was a mess and I am doing it again this Sunday! I numbered to twelve this time, we have nine so far.
We are all blessed to be a blessing to others.
Expect the unexpected!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wooohooo! I LOVE it Kelly! The Lord is so faithful and oh so loving....and you are showing His love to these boys! Be blessed!
Tabitha said…
Kelly - this post touched me. One for the very being of "your story" and two for reasons I needed it to touch my life. God is good. All the time. God is good.
Thank you for allowing the Lord to work through you.
Michelle said…
Oh my goodness! This brought tears to my eyes! As a mother and housewife, I know how "tiring" that cooking and clean up can be! I am praying for your list to continue to grow in numbers and that you will have endurance to get it done girl! David will have to build you an industrial kitchen! I hope that young man is still dwelling upon that sermon and the truth he heard!

Popular posts from this blog

Working Myself Out of a Job