Lessons from God 2


Staying In The Boundaries

Nellie, our dog, stands on my raised vegetable garden so her head just rest on the top of our wooden fence. She watches as people walk on the trail. Some have dogs , baby strollers, bikes. She does this often with complete content and pleasure from the safety of our yard. Never barking just watching, seems to be simply entertained. However, in October, I sat at my kitchen table watching her. She seemed very anxious. My husband and our two teen boys had gone hunting for a few days. Without them home she looked to me for fulfillment. I gave her everything she needed and more; loving, walks, fetch, car rides, all her favorite things. I never left her alone and even allowed her to sleep at the foot of my bed. However, instead of being content with her situation she began to search.
I sat at my table in front of the sliding glass doors, watching her in the backyard. She was in her usual position at the fence, however this time her body language spoke loudly. Now she seem to be looking with intent. I could see she was restless , looking into our neighbors yard as if looking for something to satisfy. She had me to run to and was fully aware that I was there. I knew this from her frequent glances at the back doors. I was more than willing to entertain her but today I was not enough. I watched her get down from the raised bed and creep to the other corner of the yard out of view of the door where I sat. Our boys have a canoe flipped upside down in the corner she was headed for. It was perfect for a spring board to the other side. Something she had never attempted. She walked slowly while looking guilty as a dog could, as if she had already made up her mind what she was going to do. I changed locations so I could keep my eyes on her. Sure enough, she hopped up on the canoe and peered over the fence to the street.
It was over. I stopped her before she had a chance to go for it. I tapped on the window and she was instantly at the back door, seemingly relieved. I don’t think she would have went far but to know that she could get out once might become a habit that could eventually lead to her being lost, stolen or even dead .
She was still very wrestles and cried at the back door, not normal for her to do. I laughed at that site, not because I enjoyed seeing her so miserable but because I knew it would be over soon and she would be safe and sound to enjoy the rest of her family when they came back home. I could see the big picture she could only see the moment.
We need to be content with the boundaries God has put in place for us, whatever they may be. He is always watching and can see the big picture. He loves us and has His best in mind for us.
Don’t even look over the fence! You could find yourself straddled and fall to the other side!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yay! It works....I love this post...and I cannot wait until you post a picture of Benelli on here, because she is SO CUTE!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Working Myself Out of a Job